The Scott County prosecutor and Sikeston Department of Public Safety director gave an update on a case involving a former officer and a deadly crash. Prosecuting Attorney Amanda Oesch and Director James McMillen said the case is still pending. Former DSP Captain Andrew Cooper was behind the wheel of a car on February 29, when it went through a stop sign and crashed into another vehicle head on. A Sikeston woman died in the crash. Cooper and three others were seriously hurt.
Oesch and McMillen gave a timeline of events in the case:
- February 29, 2020 – Cooper was involved in the deadly crash and DPS requested the Missouri State Highway Patrol investigate
- March 24, 2020 – Special Prosecutor Stephanie Watson assigned and she submitted charges
- May 22, 2020 – Warrant issued for Cooper. He was arrested and posted bond the same day
- December 8, 2020 – Preliminary hearing held in front of Judge Fulton. Probable cause found and case bound over to the circuit court
- January 13, 2021 – Change of venue granted and case transferred over to Butler County
- March 22, 2021 – Bond hearing held in Butler County
- July 27, 2021 – Last court date scheduled
They noted that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, no trials were held in 2020, causing a backlog that led to delays in this case.