Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) announced today that the state has received $36.7 million in federal funding to fight the opioid crisis. Funding expands prevention, treatment, recovery and overdose response initiatives across the state. The State Opioid Response (SOR) federal grant is awarded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), a branch of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).The opioid crisis, amplified by the devastation of COVID-19, affects the residents of the state of Illinois in profound ways. These federal dollars will help the state address the opioid crisis during COVID-19. The programs funded by this award will bring critical services to help persons with opioid use disorder, assist those on a path to recovery, provide emergency lifesaving medication for people experiencing an opioid overdose, and deliver a prevention and support message across the state.
Funds will be used to continue the following initiatives:
- expanded access to Medication Assisted Recovery (MAR) services for persons with opioid use disorders, including those in the criminal justice system;
• hospital screenings and linkage to community treatment programs for their patients; supportive housing and digital resources for persons in recovery from opioid use disorder;
• access to medication-assisted recovery for patients at federally qualified health centers;
• recovery support services for pregnant and postpartum women with opioid use disorders; mentoring and coaching for medical professionals prescribing medications for opioid use disorder; and a toll-free Helpline for opioids and other substances.
• expansion this year for treatment of persons with stimulant use disorder, in response to rising rates of methamphetamine and cocaine use
If you or someone you know is experiencing problems with substance use disorder, call the state’s Helpline for Opioids and other Substances at 1-833-2FINDHELP (1-833-234-6343) Text “HELP” to 833234 or visit HelplineIL.org.