Cape Girardeau Public Schools Excepts School Safety Grant

Cape Girardeau Public Schools recently received a three year federal grant that will improve health and safety training to the entire district. Cape Girardeau public schools received the grant from the .U.S. Department of Justice. The grant is worth a total of $72,322. Board of Education officials accepted the grant at their board of education meeting on Monday night. Officials say, this is the first time they’ve ever applied for or received the grant. Officials say, they applied for the grant over the summer and they received notification of the grant award a couple of weeks ago. The award is called the Stop School Violence Grant. It is awarded through the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance. The district will be required to fund a total of 20% of the grant over the next three years.  The DOJ will be responsible for the remaining 80% of the funding. School officials say, the grant will enable the district to certify all of its 750 employees in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, first aid and the use of automated external defibrillators.

Photo Gallery