Hover board causes apartment fire in Cape Girardeau

Fire crews in Cape Girardeau are warning consumers about hover boards after a fire Tuesday morning. Fire crews responded to small apartment fire after a hover board that was charging caught fire. The fire stayed contained to the bedroom and put itself out. Crews checked for additional concerns. No one was hurt in the incident.

Hover boards came under scrutiny last year after a number of them caught fire while charging. The lithium batteries in the popular toy have been known to catch fire when overheating. Over the summer, one of the charging devices exploded at a kiosk at the West Park Mall in Cape Girardeau prompting a ban of sale on the devices.

Photo Gallery