Sikeston Law Enforcement Officials Called Out for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Officials with the Sikeston Department of Public Safety were called out on Tuesday, Sept. 10 to what they believed was a gas leak. When crews arrived at the scene on Lee Avenue, officials said officers checked the air quality and found out it was carbon monoxide that was drifting into the home. They say, the cause was a running generator near a storage area outside their home, which caused the gas to travel through the attic and into the home. Four people were treated and taken to an area hospital. Officials said two officers were treated for their exposure. Police said carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless and deadly. They advise anyone using a generator to power a home should keep it 20 feet away from windows, vents or doors.

Find more about Weather in Cape Girardeau, MO

Photo Gallery